Wednesday, August 10, 2011

July 11, 2011 Letter from Anchieta

Dear Family,

So today is my third p-day in the mission field.  This past week was a crazy week.  So much happened.  I had my first companion exchange, I went to Guarapari and my companion stayed in Anchieta.  Guarapari is the nearest big city.  My exchange was with Elder J. Silva, he is a Brazilian missionary.  I had a lot of fun on the exchange, I learned a lot and it helped my Portuguese too.  It was a little strange though going to sleep there that night.  And the next day when I was my companion again, we went and gave a presentation when I was with my companion again, we went and gave a presentation to these kids that are in a drug rehab center in our area.  That was really cool!  Everyone wanted to talk to us because we are from the U.S., but I couldn't really reply because I could not understand them.  They all liked our presentation and we passed out 40 Book of Mormons there.

That same day we found Adias as we were out walking around.  Sorry that was wrong,  we found Adias 2 days before that.  The next day, we had Leticia's baptism.  The night before we visited her and her cousin was at her house and he tried to tell us that she wasn't going to be baptized, but what was cool was that before that Leticia pulled us aside and told us that her cousin was there and not to listen to anything that he said and that she was going to get baptized the next day.  The next day came and things weren't going smoothly, we got ready and got to the church building and then we got a call from Leticia saying that they were having trouble with transportation.  So our Group President went and picked them up.  And after that, we had the baptism without any problems.  I was one of the witnesses for the baptism.  Oh, I almost forgot the night before the baptism I dreamt in Portuguese.  I don't know what was said, but I know it was said in Portuguese.

The night right after Leticcia's baptism the power in all of Anchieta went out.  My companion and I were about to get burgers to celebrate the baptism when it went out.  It was out for about an hour or so.  It was kind of cool because everything was dark and you could only see out in the street by the mooonlight.  That was Saturday.  Sunday, yesterday, we had Leticia's confirmation, which I got to stand in for, which was pretty cool.  We also had someone that we made a street contact with come to church that we didn't think would come, but she came and brought a friend.  We mad an appointment to meet with them, but we don't know whether they will be investigators or not.  Their names are Anna-Luiza and Brisa.  Brisa is the one that we contacted.  We will see if they will be investigators or not.

Well, that was all of the excitement for the week for me.  I have started over in reading the Book of Mormon I am in 1 Nephi 13.  I have really enjoyed reading again because it seems to refer to why I am here on a mission and to what I should be doing as I am here on a mission and to what I should be doing as I am here.  The coolest chapters that I have read so far are 1 Nephi 11, 12 and 13.  Chapter 11 has some really cool information in it.  I have made a lot of connections and learned a lot from just that one chapter.  I would suggest that for your next family home evening that you all read that chapter together and try and find connections to things and between things.  It would cool also if afterwards you all could pick a favorite scripture or two and write down what it is and why it is your favorite scripture or scriptures and share them with each other, and then send them to me so that I could be a part of the blessings that will be shared by this activity.  I ask that whenever you get a chance to got to the Temple that you take the opportunity on behalf since I can't go for the rest of my time here on the mission.

Thank you for all that you have done for me and for all that you are doing for me.  I thank you for the way that you raised me and for all that you have taught me.  For all of the help that you have given me and all of the help that you are now giving me.  I miss you all and am hoping the best for all of you.

Seu Filho (your son), Seu irmao (your brother) e seu neto (and your grandson), Elder Adam McBarron
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!